Saturday, January 1, 2011

Bucket List Post #1

I was so excited this past weekend when I got to cross something off my bucket list!! My extended family is full of hunters and fishermen and I am an avid fisher woman myself, but have never been hunting for real! I have always wanted to get a deer, but I wasn't sure I would have the guts to kill Bambi's mom! I chalked it up to that I was eating the meat and that it wasn't just for sport!

My dad owns a ranch just outside of Weesatche, TX and our neighbor has a deer camp! He had a few extra doe permits and asked if we would like to use one! I was so thrilled but nervous about the whole ordeal! My dad and I took some practice shots early in the day with his 30. The kick was less then I remembered so I was feeling pretty confident! We headed over to his camp about 3:30 and got the grand tour. We set out corn and climbed up into the deer stand! The feeder went off at 4:30 and 5:15 and we didn't see anything! About 10 minutes before sunset we were feeling pretty down and thought for sure we weren't going to see anything. Out of the blue a few little does showed up and ran away before we could get a clear shot. As they ran away we turned to the other side of the stand and saw 6 or 7 larger does! We decided that this was our chance and my dad handed me the gun and I got ready! I was shaking so much because I was so excited and nervous! I knew it was a one shot deal so I took a deep breath and went for it and I did it! I was so proud of myself! My dad said that The shot couldn't have been better and I think he was excited that I had the guts to do it and did it well! I can't wait for next year, maybe I will even get a big buck!

December 29, 2010

No comments: